Skip to main content

Micro$oft is FAT!

Judge Kathleen Kottler-Kavein ruled that Microsoft must be broken up into two companies. The name of the two companies will be MICROS~1 and MICROS~2. HAHA!!

The Bug:
(not in reference to the car or the insect)

So... today I stumbled upon something weird with FAT16 partitions. Why FAT16? Because the manufacturers of the SD memory card formatted the card with FAT16... your own USB flash drive might also be FAT16. Anyways... here's what happened: I had 126 files (totaling over 1.4 GB) on the SD card. If I added one more file, Windows would complain, saying that it could not create the file. And, here's the strange part... if I deleted a 4 MB file and copied a 1 MB file, it would still not let me create a new file. And, even stranger... if I deleted all of the files and created 1000 small files, it would let me.

So... the problem doesn't seems to be a file size limit or a # of files limit. What is it then?

WTF, mates?

Here's a strange bug in FAT16: http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?MSDOSFileSystem

A long time ago, Microsoft made you create files with an 8.3 filename. What that means is... your files, by convention, had to start with 1-8 characters, followed by a period, and then followed by a 3-character-max file extension. After people realized that this limitation was ridiculous, they yelled at the evil empire. So, Gates hacked the FAT file system to create support for long filenames... and it created some complications... hidden complications... read the link above to find out.

Quoted from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120138:
"This problem occurs when all 512 root directory entries have been used. This problem can also occur with fewer than 512 files and folders in the root directory because Windows 95 uses additional directory entries to store long file names. "

So, when Windows couldn't create a file due to some weird, mostly undocumented FAT16 limitation, it SHOULD HAVE SAID: "Bill Gates told me not to let you do that because there is some undocumented feature in FAT16 that won't let you. Try formatting in FAT32".

But, instead, I get the cryptic error message: "Sorry, Blake. I can't do that now. And, nope... I won't tell you why... you'll have to Google it... I mean... search using Windows Live, of course!"

Also see... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_filename

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware the Ides of March...in 9 days

Stupid heading for this blog, but whatever.  I was amused.   So, a lot has happened since my last entry, which I believe was sometime in January.  I have officially started a new business -- OnlineFixShop, LLC.  The web address is http://www.onlinefixshop.com/ .  Check it out!  For the next few months, my business will be focusing on home PC repair.     I am offering services that can help you:   Rid your computer of spyware and viruses Retrieve lost information and data Gain access to the Internet Increase your computer's performance and speed Learn your way around various types of software Setup a secure wireless or wired network Back-up personal and valuable data Secure your computer(s) and protect your data Eventually, I am planning to focus on repairing computers over the Internet using remote administration technology, which I have yet to design.   Right now, I am working to setup an online ordering system and my own accounting system.  So, at the time of th

Today's Quote

This is simply a brain dump.  I'm sleepy, and I want to type out some of the thoughts currently in my head. "Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet."  This is so remarkably true, and today I'm making it a mantra.  I believe that luck is merely an illusion that we perceive, but it truly when we have prepared ourselves for the right opportunity... and then a great opportunity comes along.  Many great opportunities pass us by every day.  Once we begin to recognize them and prepare for them, then we start to experience the thrill of luck. Interestingly, as described in "Good to Great", Mr. James Collins talks about how "Level 5" leaders often attribute their great success to luck .  That's a humble way of saying, "I planned on taking advantage of every opportunity ."   Hmmm...

JavaScript Sticky Footer and Scroll Effect

This post talks about two different HTML/JavaScript effects: How to keep a page footer stuck at the bottom of the browser window. How to create a scrolling <div> without using a scroll bar OK. So... you have a website. You want a header stuck at the top of your page and the footer stuck at the bottom of your page. The stuff in the middle, you want to be able to scrollable. But, you don't want those ugly scrollbars to the right of your scrollable text. Maybe, instead, you'll have up arrows and down arrows above and below your <div>. When you mouseover the arrows, the text in the <div> will move up or down and create a scrolling effect. Suppose your page looks like this... <html> <head> <title>Test</title> </head> <body> <div style="position: relative; width: 700px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;"> <div id="header">Header</div> <div id="scrollUp&q